Do you believe that teachers should be free to focus on curiosity, exploration, play, and authentic connection with students? Do you feel drawn to Education but discouraged by the thought of having to work within the increasingly-restrictive boxes of mainstream schools? Do you imagine opening a school of your own someday but don’t know where to start?
South Mountain Co-op is in our first year of operation as a Democratic Free School in Essex County NJ. We're currently serving 28 students between the ages of 4.5 and 15.
We're looking for interns to help staff the school, as well as interns to help with the administrative work of running the school. Among us, the co-founders have 8 years' experience in staffing and running Democratic Free Schools, and we are excited to share that experience with anyone who believes in the democratic free school model of education: that students learn and thrive when offered the space to direct their own learning, follow their own interests, and be fully involved in the decision-making process of the school
What you'll learn as an intern at SMC:
- how to engage with students in a non-coercive, joyful way
- how to facilitate consensus-based decision making
- how to put conflict resolution and NVC techniques into practice
- the nitty gritty, behind the scenes work that goes in to starting and running an alternative school
- the organizational skills to run committees and work groups, and to manage projects of your own.
SMC interns will get:
- regular mentoring from a co-founder
- the opportunity to be involved in every level of decision making of the operation of the school
- a letter describing and documenting the work you've done with us and the skills you've acquired
We're looking for applicants who:
- can commit at least 2 days a week, for 12 weeks
- believe in the tenets of democratic free schools
- are reliable and self-directed workers
For more information contact Mary Karl-Gruswitz here: email@example.com