About the Position
The Director position will be a critical member of the leadership team, responsible for student achievement and the fulfillment of the mission and charter. The Director will serve as Unity’s visible leader, chief spokesperson and sustainability advocate.
This is an ideal opportunity for a dynamic and visionary instructional leader to play a critical role in shaping a growing K-8 charter school committed to helping students reach high levels of academic and personal achievement.
This position is full time.
Responsibilities will include:
- Function as a key member of the Unity leadership team
- Ensure a strong, inclusive school culture, consistent with Unity’s core values. As a demonstration school for Positive Discipline, Unity’s character development program actively shapes student habits, values, and aspirations to become successful global citizens
- Lead the hiring, development, coaching, and evaluation of Unity’s staff and foster a leadership culture of reflective self-improvement
- Work with the Leadership team to develop and implement academic goals
- Create processes and practices for long-term educational planning
- Partner with the School Business Administrator to oversee budgetary decisions
- Serve as a non-voting member of the Board; report and advise on school affairs, and assist in establishing policy implementation guidelines and procedures
- Guarantee compliance and control per the Education laws of the State of New Jersey, the Administrative Code of the New Jersey Department of Education, Unity’s Charter and Board policies.
- Master's degree required
- A New Jersey standard school administrator or supervisor’s certificate, or standard principal’s certificate
- Experience managing teams in an educational setting
- Proficiency in Adlerian principles and the New Jersey Common Core Standards
Skills, traits and beliefs:
- Deep and contagious passion for the importance of sustainability and ecology
- Dedication to doing whatever it takes to help all the school’s students achieve academic success
- Collaborative decision-making style, with a proven track record of working with individuals at all levels to drive decision-making and results
- Self-awareness, with an ability to treat all members of the community with respect and hold an accurate idea of one’s own strengths and weaknesses
- Problem-solving skills, with a combination of confidence and humility
- Strong management skills, including the emotional intelligence to work effectively with teaching staff to develop their impact
- Exceptional self-motivation, entrepreneurial spirit and team orientation
About Unity Charter School
Unity Charter School is a tuition-free, public school in Morris Township, New Jersey that integrates the values of sustainability into a vigorous academic program.
Unity Charter School is dedicated to developing student leaders for the 21st Century. Our integrated curriculum supports mastery of multi-dimensional abilities while developing well balanced and confident students. We value and provide unique opportunities for students to develop critical thinking, communication, and collaboration skills as well as encourage self exploration and creativity. Through class meetings and Democratic Governance, students are empowered to use their voice, impact change, and be of service to others through community outreach initiatives.
To apply for the position, please submit a cover letter and current resume to:
Chair, Unity Charter School Director Search Committee