Woolman is a nonprofit educational community located on 230 acres in the Sierra Nevada Foothills dedicated to the principles of peace, justice and sustainability. Originally founded in 1963 as a Quaker high school, Woolman now offers educational programs for teens, retreats for adults, and summer camps for children and families including The Woolman Semester; a 4-month residential education program in northern California for passionate young people who want to make a difference.www.woolman.org. Wo
olman is an equal opportunity employer.
Global Issues Teacher, Peace Studies Teacher, Environmental Science Teacher
For descriptions of the individual courses, please follow this link: http://woolman.org/
Description of Position and Responsibilities:
- Live on campus
- Participate fully in table fellowship at Woolman, including preparation, dining, and cleaning
- Work with students to develop critical thinking, research, writing and presentation skills through self-designed curriculum.
- Serve as an advisor and parent liaison to a portion of the students
- Available to students and office hours for help with major assignments
- Occasional Friday evening check-in and “Documentary Movie Night”
- Plan and lead a week long field trip
- Co-facilitate Wilderness Trip and Retreat Week with other core teachers
- Serve as mentors to interns
- Take an active role in Woolman Semester outreach
- Attend all meetings including community meeting, program meeting, student updates meeting and staff meeting,
This position is more a full life job rather than 40 hours/week. In addition to creating curriculum and other traditional tasks, teachers fully participate in community life, which means often doing community-wide activities that do not take place during the normal 40-hour week. Teaching is a .75 position with other duties or projects assigned based on the candidates skills and interests and the needs of the organization.
- Ability to hike 5 miles with a 40lb pack
- Ability to lift 50 lbs overhead
- Ability to drive a full size van filled with teenagers.
- Ability to pass a TB test
Qualifications and Skills
- At least 3 years teaching experience
- Bachelors degree and/or life experience related to: political science, activism, social justice, current events, world history, alternative economics
- Clean DMV and Back Ground Check
- Experience working with teenagers in residential/overnight setting
- Experience planning and leading weeklong overnight trips for teenagers
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Masters degree in related field (see above)
- Experience in activism and community organizing with youth
- Teaching certification or masters degree in Education
- Certifications: CPR, Lifeguard, WFR, WEMT, EMT
- Ability to speak Spanish
Salary is commensurate with experience
Health benefits and housing discount available.
E-mail resume and compelling cover letter to:
Woolman Semester School: email@example.com