GORGE DISCOVERY SCHOOL
Where the Gorge is our classroom
Hood River, OR
The Gorge Discovery School is looking for an experienced and energetic multi-age classroom teacher for the 2013-14 school year. Qualifications include an undergraduate degree in education or subject area (advanced degree preferred), previous classroom experience and a genuine passion for how children see the world. Successful candidates will have exceptional skills in writing, observation, collaboration, communication and building relationships with students in previous work environments. They will demonstrate the ability to self reflect as they grow in this unique learning community. Gorge Discovery School is an independent school serving children 3-12 years of age. Gorge Discovery School values the creativity, interests, and ideas of children. Position will remain posted until filled. No phone calls please.
Status: Part or Full time / Exempt
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Mission: The Gorge Discovery School provides project-focused learning within a Place-Based educational model, inspires joy, connects us to community, and fosters a love for learning.
Team members work collaboratively to facilitate inquiry-based learning using the arts and sciences to inspire critical thinking and the expression of ideas for 6-12 year olds.
- Demonstrates understanding of the mission, philosophy, values, and teaching principles of the Gorge Discovery School.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the developmental stages and needs of children ages 6-12 years old.
- Participates as a member of the teaching team in which collaboration, dialogue, and exchange are practiced values
- Communicates with parents/guardians about student experiences and progress
- Arranges the physical environment of the classroom in ways that reflect Gorge Discovery School’s philosophy and approach
- Plans experiences for children that reflect Gorge Discovery School’s philosophy and approach
- Demonstrates the ability to support the social and emotional intelligences of children
- Understands the technology required to document the experiences of children/adults on a regular basis
- Helps plan and participate in staff development
- Participates in public forums that present the work of Gorge Discovery School to the community and beyond
- Effectively organizes time, space, and materials
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Co-Lead Teachers
- Undergraduate degree in education or subject area (advanced degree preferred) or equivalent experience
- Three years experience teaching in a Reggio-inspired program (preferred) or other alternative, democratic, place-based, and project-based learning program.
- A keen interest and curiosity about the nature of learning and teaching
- Pays attention to the many ways that children make meaning of the world
- Finds joy in working with children and adults
- Values learning from mistakes
- Values parents as important partners in the work of the school
- Knowledgeable of the experiences and practices of the early childhood schools of Reggio Emilia, Italy
Follow the application process outlined here: https://docs.google.com/
document/d/18Dfzw2yozBiWV- GLG3EQ15-37fxXSTA_zL_Yvb679P0/ edit
Applications are reviewed in the order in which they are received; position will remain open until filled.
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.