[button size="medium" color="red" link="http://batchgeo.com/map/17abf4510c859f73c7f24e69d8cc45b0"]Map of Global Representative Network[/button]
[button size="medium" color="orange" link="http://www.educationrevolution.org/member-resources/"]Contact your local AERO representative![/button]
AERO has always had an informal network of representatives. When someone needs a contact in a certain city, state or country, we know who to refer them to. Now, with the new AERO website and many new programs we have decided to formalize that network. We will be directly contacting some people to see if they would like to be our official AERO representative for their area. Some representatives may be requested to do consultations. They will also be organizing local events. For example, we would like to see fairs highlighting public and private educational alternatives in their areas to let parents, teachers and students know what their educational choices are.
At the upcoming AERO conference next August, again in Portland, Oregon, this will culminate in a keynote presentation by Occupy Portland’s Our School project which will present a panel sharing practical ways that individuals and groups can organize the education revolution in their own communities. AERO’s Director, Jerry Mintz, will introduce the panel by outlining AERO’s representative program. Their panel will end with a group discussion and visioning session to help focus and spur on the education revolution beyond the conference. There will additionally be a series of informational and training sessions for our representatives to give and share the resources necessary to do this work.
To summarize, representatives will:
- Post events and news about educational alternatives taking place in their state on the AERO website.
- Be available as a contact person for those in their state looking for alternatives or other help.
- Keep track of state laws effecting educational alternatives.
- Help organize events and gatherings that share information and network local educational alternatives.
- Refer people to the AERO office as appropriate and help promote the AERO annual conference.
Representatives get exclusive benefits such as:
- Community organizing training and guidance.
- Free AERO Membership!
- Discount at the AERO conference!
- Access to AERO databases to use for their service.
If you are interested in being an AERO international, state or local representative, write to email@example.com.
Responsibilities for each level:
- State representative: In addition to above state reps will network the other reps in their state, look more at state-wide issues, legislation, and events.
- Local representative: Will focus more on specific projects and gatherings in their area.
- Country representative: Will keep people in their country in contact with AERO resources, organize as they see fit in their country.
Projects representatives could organize:
- Make a listsereve or e newsletter for your area.
- Organize informational sessions about alternatives and choices in your area, including opting out of standardized testing.
- Do consultations with people looking to find or create alternatives.
- Refer people to the AERO office located just outside New York City when appropriate.